Friday, October 15, 2010

Freedom of the Press in China

If I may speak on a serious note for a moment, I would like to draw the attention of all readers to the letter found at the link below.

http://cmp.hku.hk/2010/10/13/8035/

If there is a political position to which I lend my unqualified support, it is that of Chinese reformers as exemplified in these demands, sent to the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress on October 1, 2010, the 61st anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic, and just days after the Nobel Peace Prize was awarded to Liu Xiaobo.

Let no one be under the illusion that a rising GDP means a freer country. There is all the difference in the world between a country where you really have to watch what you say and one where you don't. Having spent three years of my life in China, I have learned that a diminution of my neighbour's freedom likewise diminishes my own. Let us raise a glass to the brave and principled men and women who have signed their names to this letter that is at once a critique of the Communist Party and an appeal to the constitution in the name of the Chinese people. They ask nothing than to be governed by law, rather than caprice.

No comments:

Post a Comment